• chevron_rightAm I allowed to have pets in my unit?
    Pet Declaration of Condominium, Article X, Section 9, no more than two (2) small household pets may be kept in any unit.  Additional rules are specified in Policy No. 7, Household Pets.
  • chevron_rightAm I allowed to rent my unit, either short-term or long-term?
    Absoutely, but there are several things to keep in mind.  While your tenants are afforded the same amenities and privileges as you, they are also subject to the same Declaration, By-Laws, and Policies.  You are liable for any violation by your tenant.  It is your responsibity to be certain that the tenants are informed of these rules and regulations. When a unit is sceduled for occupancy, whether by owner, owner's guest, or renter, notification should be given to the Maintenance Manager, either by Homeowner or Homeowner's agent.
  • chevron_rightDoes Saman have an emergency generator?
    There is a small emergency generator located in the north pump house which is operated during a power outage to provide fresh water to the units.  This operation is limited during extended outages per a scedule outlined in Policy No. 15.  Personal generators are allowed but may be operated only between 7:00AM and 8:00PM.  See Policy No. 13.
  • chevron_rightDoes the Association maintain/repair the hurricane shutters?
    As of January 1, 1990 the Association has assumed responsibility for routine maintenance, cost of repair, cleaning and lubrication of all hurricane shutters, with the exception of repairs required due to carelessness on the part of the owner or renter.  If you need assistance with understanding how to properly operate the shutters or are concerned your shutters are not functioning properly, please contact Dave Sommer at samancondos@gmail.com.
    Owners should be familiar with the opening and closing the shutters prior to hurricane season.  
  • chevron_rightDoes the Board of Directors have regular meetings?
     The Board of Directors consists of 7 members who meet as needed throughout the year, in mid-February prior to the Annual Meeting of Homeowners and immediately following that meeting to elect officers.  Board meetings are open to all owners with notices of the meetings posted on the pool sign.
  • chevron_rightHow are Board members selected?
     Directors are elected each year at the Annual Owners' Meeting in February.  Terms are for three years.  If you are interested in serving, please notify the Association's President or any Director.  Officers are elected annually by the Directors.
  • chevron_rightHow do I dispose of my household garbage?
     The Carambola Property Owners Association provides trash disposal service with two dumpsters located near the tennis courts.  Household garbage should be secured in plastic bags and placed completely inside the dumpsters; no item should be left on the ground near the dumpster for disposal.
  • chevron_rightHow do I get an automatic opener for the entry gate?
    Gate RFID transmitters are available from Mary Harris with the Carambola Property Owners Association. Contact her at mejh1803@gmail.com for assistance.
    It is a small strip that attaches to the inside of the windshield.
  • chevron_rightHow do the Declaration of Condominium and By-Laws Differ?
     The Declaration of Condominium created the legal entity known as Saman Villas Condominium Homeowners' Association, Inc., and outlines rules and restrictions regarding the property.  It defines the units that are owned individually and the common property that is owned proportionately by all the unit owners.  The By-
    Laws provide for the governance of the Association.  The Policies are additional rules and regulations which have been established by the Board of Directors from time to time as authorized by the By-Laws.
  • chevron_rightHow should I prepare for the hurricane season?
     Stock up on items such as batteries, candles, matches, drinking water, insect repellant, non-perishable foods, extra cash, propane, etc.  Obtain a battery-operated radio.  In the event of a storm warning, fill the bathtubs with water for flushing the commodes (keep a bucket handy).  If a storm is imminent, electrical power is normally taken off-line and it can be off for hours before it is restored.  Take all the steps necessary prior to a storm to ensure your comfort and safety.
  • chevron_rightI am here on island part-time. May I discontinue my telephone, cable and internet when my unit is unoccupied?
     Most providers allow a seasonal hold for 6 months.
  • chevron_rightI own an upstairs unit. Why should I be liable for damage that occurs inside the unit below me?
     Damaged caused by other than failure of a common element are the responsibility of the owner, not the Association.  For example, if the supply line to the commode should rupture and flood the unit below, owner of the upstairs unit is liable for all the repairs to the ground unit.  However, if the damage was caused by a pipe rupturing inside the wall, the Association would pay for all the repairs.
  • chevron_rightI would like to have a mailbox at the entry to Carambola. Whom should I contact?
    Contact Steve Demeter, scdemeter@yahoo.com.  The supply of boxes is limited; another option would be a box at the nearest postal facility at Kingshill located behind the LaReine Shopping Center.
  • chevron_rightIf my unit is unoccupied, why does it need to be exterminated monthly?
     Saman maintains a service contract with Terminix to have every unit sprayed monthly for insect control.  We are in the tropics and there are lots of different pests that find their way inside the units.  Protecting all villas lessens infestations.
  • chevron_rightIs the treated effluent used as irrigation water "safe"?
    The treated effluent is NOT potable water but it is tested quarterly for the presence of fecal coliform and other bacteria.
  • chevron_rightMay I have a charcoal grill on my gallery?
    No.  Only grills fueled by propane are allowed.
  • chevron_rightMay I plant or remove flowers or shrubs in the landscape around my unit?
    The short answer is no.  The landscape is part of the common property and does not belong to the individual owner.  The Association maintains the landscaping and occasionally budgets funds for new plantings, etc.  Other additions to the landscape by the Association's gardner(at the request of an owner and at the owner's expense) may be considered by the Board; keep in mind that all additions must be disease and drought resistant.
  • chevron_rightMay I renovate the interior of my unit?
    Certainly, however, any modifications to plumbing or electrical (any common elements) must be pre-approved and then inspected by the Association.
  • chevron_rightMay I use the facilities at Carambola Beach Resort Hotel?
     The hotel offers annual membership for a nominal fee which allows Carambola owners access to all the amenities offered by the hotel; e.g., the fitness center, beach towels, use of the deck chairs,etc.  Also available with the presentation of a credit card are charge privileges for food and drink, etc.  Contact the sales office at the hotel for further details. 
  • chevron_rightSaman's Balance Sheet references an Asset as "A/R-SBA Loan Assessment" What about the "Notes Payable-MGC Mortgage" and the "Special Assessment-SBA"?
    After Hurricane Hugo in 1989, it was necessary to borrow money through the SBA to complete the rebuild of Saman Villas.  The loan was for approximately $600,000 at 4% interest for a term of 30 years.  The collateral for this loan was a contingent assessment against all units; your share of this loan is the principal balance times your ownership percentage.  The loan was sold by the SBA and is now serviced by MGC Mortgage, Inc.  Monthly payments are made in the amount of $2,433 which included principal and interest.  As the principal balance decreases, so do these three entries on the balance sheet.
  • chevron_rightSomeone broke a window in my gallery door. Who is responsible for the replacement?
    While the windows and doors are common elements,  the Association pays for maintenance of those elements.  Repairs for damages to common elements, however, are the responsibility of the unit owner.
  • chevron_rightWhat about my patio furniture, plants, grills, etc?
     When it is time to close the hurricane shutters, it is also time to remove all objects that may be on the galleries or stairways and secure them inside the unit .
  • chevron_rightWhat about security?
     Security services are provided by the  CPOA and include the gated entrance with full-time security personnel and  a roving guard.  The telephone number at the Guard House is 340-513-7387. If you are expecting a guest or workman, please inform the gate prior to their arrival.
  • chevron_rightWhat about the fresh water supply
    Saman Villas' fresh water comes from two sources, a well located on Golf Course property and rain water impoundment from Buildings 1 through 6 into the south cistern and Buildings 16 through 18 into the north cistern.  There are two completely seperate water systems on the property, that can be operated as one.  The water treatment includes chlorine addition, ultraviolet sanitization, and particle filtration.  The water is tested monthly to insure confirmation to the safe drinking water standards.
  • chevron_rightWhat about the pool on Saman's property? May I have a private function at the pool?
     Policy No. 16 addresses the use of the Saman Pool.  Remember, you swim at your own risk; no lifeguards are on duty.  Owners and /or tenants may have parties at the pool but simultaneous use of the pool cannot be denied to other owners/tenants.
  • chevron_rightWhat are common areas? What do I own?
     As defined in the Declaration, common areas are all real property including but not limited to the land, yards, lawns, gardens, walkways, plantings, and parking and driveway areas; the buildings including all foundations, pilings, columns, slabs, roofs, partitions, etc., including exterior walls, partition walls, doors and doorways, windows; walkways and stairs; installations for utilities and services; tanks pumps, generators, etc., galleries; swimming pool.
    Generally speaking, the Association is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of these common areas/elements.  Repairs or damages to these common elements by an owner or tenant are the responsibility of the unit owner.
    The unit owner shares in the ownership of all common areas based on the percentage interest of that unit as stated in Exhibit F of the Declaration of Condominium.  A "unit" is defined as "the interior of the exterior wall to the interior side of the opposite exterior wall and from the bottom of the ceiling to the top of the floor", sometime referred to as a "cube of air".
  • chevron_rightWhat are the Association's governing documents?
     Several very important documents are used in the governance of Saman Villas including a set of Policies, a list of 10 Neighborly Courtesies, By-Laws, Declaration of Condominium, Articles of Incorporation, Sugar Island Master Declaration as Amended and finally the Virgin Islands Condominium Law.
  • chevron_rightWhat is CUSI?
    Carambola Utilities Services, Inc. (CUSI) is a completely seperate corporation which was established at the departure of the Developer to continue proividing sewer services to the condominium properties, including Saman Villas and Sweet Lime Village.  The ten units at Sweet Lime Villas chose to build their own sewage treatment facility and did not enter into agreement with CUSI.  Shortly after the incorporation, Saman Villas invested in a refurbishment of it's irrigation system to accept the treated effluent from the sewage facilty.  Sweet Lime Village declined to participate in the arrangement to use  effluent for irrigation on their grounds.  Each condo unit in Saman and Sweet Lime is charged a monthly fee for sewer services, which covers the cost of the operation of the sewer plant.
  • chevron_rightWhat is included in the Association's insurance policies? What type of coverage do I need?
    The Association's Commercial Property Policy includes (but is not limited to) coverage for damage from fire, lightning, windstorm, earthquake and water.  The Broad Form policy also includes interiors, fixtures and appliances as originally constructed.  The Association also carries a Commercial General Liability Policy and a Director's and Officers's Policy.
    Owners should purchase Condo Unit Owners policies to insure personal effects such as furniture, clothing, etc., as well as any improvments or upgrades which have been made to the unit, whether by themselves or previous owners.  Owners should also carry Personal Liability insurance for any injury to others inside their unit.
  • chevron_rightWhat options do I have for high-speed Interent?
    You are free to contract with one of several providers, Choice, VI Broadband, Innovative, Dish, etc. If you select Dish, your service may be able to connect to a nearby antenna.  New antenna's need to be approved by Saman's maintenance manager.  Send requests to samancondos@gmail.com.  In many cases, the connection is quite simple (those with line-of-sight to the towers on Blue Mountain);in other cases a small receiver must be mounted on the exterior under the eaves with a wire coming into the villa through a window or door louver.  No connections are allowed to be made through walls.  Internet services are paid by the owner to the provider.
  • chevron_rightWhen is the SHOA quarterly assessment due?
    The regular quarterly assessment is due no later then the last day of the billing quarter.  Any assessment not paid within 10 days of that date is considered delinquent.  If the assessment remains unpaid 30 days after its due date, the Association shall file a lien against the condominium unit.  Any legal fees incurred in the collection of deliquent assessments are the responsibility of the unit owner.  See Policy No. 2, Procedures for the Nonpayment of Assessments.
  • chevron_rightWho closes and opens the hurricane shutters?
     Homeowners may close/open the shutters themselves, or the Association will close/open them at a nominal charge.  In the event of a storm warning, all shutters will be closed by the Association and owners will be billed.
  • chevron_rightWho owns the Golf Course? Does a Golf Club membership come with my unit?
    he golf course is owned by a completely seperate entity, though at one time there was a lease by the Developer with an option to purchase.  The Sugar Island Master Declaration provides for access to the golf course by Carambola property owners on a nondiscriminatory basis for starting slots and user fees, which has been interpreted to mean fees no higher than for any other person or group.
    The Carambola Golf & Country Club offers a variety of options for membership and/or daily fee use.  Contact the Pro Shop  at 340-778-5638 for details.
  • chevron_rightWho owns the tennis courts and Sugar Mill pool?
     The tennis courts and swimming pool located near the Club House at the end of the main road are owned and maintained by the Carambola Property Owners Association and are available for your  enjoyment.
  • chevron_rightWhom do I call for maintenance issues like a water leak or a damaged landscape light/
     For all issues and requests for maintenance and repairs, homeowners must send their request by email to samanpropertymanager@gmail or from the web page.  You will receive a prompt response. In case of emergencies, contact Maintenance Manager Amante Todman at 340-642-3047.
  • chevron_rightWhom do I call for power outages?
     If the electrical power is out for more than 30 minutes, notify the Virgin Islands Water & Power Authority at 340-773-0150 or 340-773-2250.  Brief outages are a way of life here on the island but extended outages should be reported.
  • chevron_rightWhom do I call if my cable service is interrupted?
     Call your provider.
  • chevron_rightWhy can't I hang my beach towels on the railings?
     The Saman Villas Declaration of Condominium Article X, Section 4, prohibits the air drying of any item on the exterior of the buildings, including gallery railings.  This included beach towels, throw rugs, etc.  Clothe lines are also prohibited.
  • chevron_rightWhy can't I park my commercial vehicle in front of my unit?
    All vehicles must be for passenger use only.  Commercial vehicles and those displaying signage, unsightly vehicles, those impeding flow of other vehicles and non-operational vehicles are prohibited.  This provision has been further defined in Policy 17- Prohibited Vehicles.
  • chevron_rightWhy do I receive TWO statements each quarter?
    The Carambola Property Owners Association includes Saman, Sweet Lime I and II, the homes and lots in Ginger Hills, Hibiscus Point, Prosperity Ridge and Carambola Crest.  Each of those owners is assessed an equal amount to cover expenses such as security, landscaping, road maintenance and electrical distribution for the many acres known as Carambola.
    The statement from Saman Homeowners is your share (based on your ownership percentage) of the annual budget as approved at the annual meeting of the owners, which included items such as insurance, landscaping, pool service, general maintenance, etc. for the Saman Villas condominium.
  • chevron_rightWhy is our well on Golf Course property?
    Saman's property is not located in the aquifer but we hold an easement from the golf course which ensures water in perpetuity.  That easement was negotiated by a former Association president with the then-owner of the golf course property.  The golf course is obliged to maintain a well and provide fresh water to Saman as required; in return, Saman pays a monthly fee to defray their costs for pumps, electricity, maintenance, etc.  The fee is NOT based on consumption and is adjusted every three years based on a formula tied to the Consumer Price Index.
  • chevron_rightWhy should hurricane shutters stay closed from June 1 through November 30?
     These dates represent the official hurricane season.  If an owner chooses to leave the hurricane shutters open for any period from June 1 through November 30, said owner shall be responsible for any and all storm or hurricane damage to the inside of any unit in the building resulting  from blowing wind, rain, and/or wind-driven rain.  See Policy No.3.